Skip to main content

12/13/18

I'm so tired, even my soul feels lethargic.

I guess I need to start going to bed earlier. Last night, I turned in around 12:30 p.m., then got up at around 7:20 a.m., which puts me at slightly less than seven hours--which is actually better than I thought it'd be, based on how tired I am. But nothing can be done about it except to do better tonight.

As a result of my lethargy and the general malaise I contribute to it, my productivity is at a low today. I have a list of things I should be doing: lesson plans, which are several days late; counting up student points to turn in to the next teacher; developing a calendar for all eight of my preps; cleaning out my email inbox... the list goes on and on. But instead I'm here, writing this blog. Why? I'm not really sure, except to track my mood to make sure my medicine is working and figure out contributing factors to my depression.

I suppose one issue is my lack of preparation for my classes resulting in the students being sloppy, causing me to feel like I'm doing a piss-poor job, but that's not particularly deviant from the norm. It's just hard to teach when it's hard to smile or hold my head upright above my neck. I really do need to be getting better sleep.

 Another thing I've been wanting to do is write poetry more often, but it's difficult to put words exactly where I want them. I ordered some of those poetry magnets that teachers had in classrooms when I was a student myself. Even if they don't help me, my students will at least be able to play with them.

I want to figure out a way to make language arts more interactive, more hands-on, but it's difficult to do so with language. I'm going to continue exploring examples and try to prepare for each day the night before to familiarize myself with their work.

Comments